Relax and Enjoy

January 2, 2009

Ecclesiastes 5:18 (Message version)

After looking at the way things are on this earth, here's what I've decided is the best way to live: Take care of yourself, have a good time, and make the most of whatever job you have for as long as God gives you life. And that's about it. That's the human lot.
5:19
Yes, we should make the most of what God gives, both the bounty and the capacity to enjoy it, accepting what's given and delighting in the work. It's God's gift!
5:20
God deals out joy in the present, the now. It's useless to brood over how long we might live.

As I looked over Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 this morning I had so many questions in my heart. Why here? Why did you lead me here? How can I relay what this scripture says to people in this economy who may not even have a job?

After I thought about this scripture for a while, I realized that it wasn’t so much about having a job and enjoying that job as it was the accepting your lot in life and being satisfied with what God has given you and where God has put you. It is also thinking about the present joys that God has given you so that we don’t get all caught up in how long we may or may not live.

I don’t know what it is about me that makes me always think about living somewhere warm or having more things. Ecclesiastes says these things are meaningless. I have had thoughts like, “Is this all there is to this life, eating, working, sleeping, eating, working, sleeping, and laundry every now and then.” These scriptures seem to indicate… yep, that’s pretty much it better enjoy it while you can.

I’m wondering if I have ever just accepted that this could be it for me. Living where I live, doing what I do and then dying someday. Acceptance must be the key to enjoying life. Maybe God won’t change any of our circumstances until we learn to enjoy where he’s put us and trust that he knows best even if we stay where we are for the rest of our lives.

Father, help me to just relax and enjoy the life you’ve given me. Help me to stop thinking of all the possibilities of life and just take joy in the moment accepting all that you’ve given me. Thank you for giving me the ability to put life into eternal perspective and help me not get so caught up in all the details, trusting that you will put me where I need to be for whatever your reasons and I can trust you.

I am coming to see more and more that there is no hurry to life, that enjoying every moment is important and that I can rest in the assurance of the salvation given me by my loving Lord taking all the time I need to get to know him and his ways.


Help me to remember your words when the time of testing comes, Jesus. I love you Lord. Thank you for your peace. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh christy...how we all have come to love you and your writings. That is one thing Jesus has given you...is helping so many people with your writings.
Thank you...and May God be with you!