What is God thinking?

June 10, 2009

What does God think about? Have you ever wondered? Today I did a study on the word “thoughts”. I wanted to know what the word had to say about this subject and I came across many verses that pertained to the thoughts of God and what he knows about the thoughts of man.

Psalms 92:5 (Complete Jewish Bible version- CJBV) says, “How great your deeds, Adonai! How very deep your thoughts.

Psalms 94:11 shows us what God knows about the thoughts of people… "Adonai understands that people’s thoughts are merely a puff of wind.” This verse really puts us thinkers in our place! We think we’re so smart :).

As I read Psalms 139 I realized how much he thinks and knows about us, he knows when we sit and stand, he knows our thoughts and is familiar with our ways. He knows the words we will speak and he protects us on every side.

There is no where we can go to get away from God; He is everywhere, all the time. He is the one who put us together in our mother’s womb, scripture says. He viewed us as we were being formed and nothing is a secret with God.

This verse blew my mind (Ps 139:16)(CJBV) “Your eyes could see me as an embryo, but in your book all my days were already written; my days had been shaped before any of them existed.” Wow, this says he saw me as a “clump of tissue” as some would say and yet every day that “clump of tissue” would live was written and shaped before any of them even existed.

It sounds as if an embryo is something more sacred to God than just a mass of cells stuck together. God cares so much about the embryo that he has already written and shaped every day that child will live before any of those days have been lived.

As I think about my life, if every day has already written and shaped specifically for me, why do I worry about doing something right or wrong with the day I’ve been given? Hasn’t it all been laid out for me in perfect order just as God has ordained? No wonder he doesn’t want his children to worry.

What really blows my mind is to think that Danni’s life was also written and shaped.

I find it strange how I began this with the thoughts of God and have come to this point. Every day I get up and think about what I will do in that day but according to this scripture, God thinks differently.

What if I would start to see things God’s way? What if I would stop worrying about the events of the day to come and just rest in the fact that he has every day predetermined and well within his control?

I agree with Isaiah 55:8-9 that says, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, and my ways are not your ways,” says Adonai. “As high as the sky is above the earth are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” God sees everything and thinks about things in a completely different way than we do.

Amos 4:13 proclaims “He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals his thoughts to man…” He reveals his thoughts to us.

Job 12:22 says “He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings deep shadows into the light” and again in Daniel 2:22 “He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.” So nothing is made known to us except what God shows us. No one has a corner on God and if we care to know his thoughts he will show us.

Jeremiah 33:3 says “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”

These are words of truth that can be relied upon. God knows all and sees all and if you are his child and you ask he will take you into his confidence revealing his very thoughts to you. How else could David say in Psalms 139:17 “How precious are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!”

God is not shy about giving his opinion or sharing his thoughts! Trust in his character and his word, he will always be true to them. He will speak to you if you are patient and willing to listen.

Lord, open our eyes and ears to hear you clearly. Help us not to block the things we don’t want to hear. Now more than ever we need to hear your voice and we say as Samuel did in 1Samuel 3:10, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” Amen.

No comments: