Need or Want?

June 3, 2009

What is it about the human condition that we always think we need more? We are never satisfied with the provision that God supplies. Our van is old and has over 170,000 miles on it but it still runs good and yet we’ve been looking at newer vehicles.

It seems like everywhere you turn these days there are car ads like liquidations!, blowouts!, everything must go! People are in debt up to their eyeballs and it seems like more debt is being thrust upon them. Car makers themselves are going bankrupt because they are overextended and their goal is to dump their debt on to the American public.

It may just be the crazy way I think but I wonder if Jesus was tempted to have the newest horse and chariot in his day. When Jesus wanted to go to the nearest town he was hoofing it. Maybe for him it was just the newest pair of sandals.

It says in Hebrews 4:15 (NIV) “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet without sin.” So according to this scripture I could conclude that he was tempted in this manner.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy a new or used vehicle if you need one but I’m not sure we do. Even Atlee said to me the other day, “I’m not sure we need a new car.” What a bright boy and he is only eleven years old! Maybe we’ll take his advice and wait until our old one dies.

So what is the root of all temptation? Where does this stuff come from? 1 John 2:15-17 (NIV) says “Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.”

Isn’t it amazing the things we do to please our stomach, our eyes and our egos? We will go to great lengths working endless hours on the job to give ourselves and our kids a better life than what our parents had but is it so much better? I’m sure if we asked our children they would rather have less stuff and more time with us.

Yesterday I went to see a lady in our community who is dying of cancer and it reminded me so much of Danni and her last days on this earth. I was amazed again at what is important in life. As she lay there on her death bed it wasn’t things she needed to make herself look “cool”, it wasn’t cars or beauty or all the trappings of this life.

She just needed Jesus and nothing more.

I love how God has a way of putting things into perspective for me. Lord, I thank you for shedding your light on my heart. Please quiet the distractions in this life that I may have that which is most needed…You.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have such a way with words! Thank you, Christy for writing this. I was so in need of this writing. Thank you Thank you so much!